Half-way House

Geedeh Town was established in 1938 by Bargbay Geedeh, one of four brothers who originated from Grand Bassa County. The brothers crossed the Timbo River in search of a larger tract of land to engage in farming.  In the traditional setting, people are apportioned farmland with specific demarcation. The story goes that because the brothers were very hard-working and, therefore, accustomed to making very large farms, they were always into conflict with other farmers who complained that the brothers were constantly encroaching on their allotted plots.  

Deciding that it was best for them to mitigate against the possibility of an open conflict within the community, the brothers organized an expedition across Timbo, in search of greener pasture in order to farm under less stressful conditions.  The brothers eventually settled in their newfound home and named the area Geedeh Town.  All of them went on to establish separate towns and became chiefs respectively.  Bargbay became Clan Chief for the Kayah Chiefdom; a position he held to his death.

The town has an estimated population of 5,355 residents with one public school and one Clinic, Kayan Community Clinic, named after the chiefdom. Students that attend the Gedeh town public school come from thirteen other surrounding villages. There are 42 satellite towns feeding on Gedeh town. Most of these adjoining villages are 2-3 hours walking distance from Gedeh town.

The average number of hours pregnant women have to travel for child-bearing purpose to the clinic is 3 hours by foot because of lack of adequate transportation and some of them give birth before reaching the clinic.  

Some of the health related problems in Gedeh town that require attention are: Malaria, Safe drinking water, Acute Respiratory Tract infection (ARI), Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) and lack of Latrines.   

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *